KEDCO’s electricity hike worries manufacturers

Poor electricity supply TCN knocks KEDCO

Issue

Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO) has come under the hammer of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) for deliberately refusing to supply sufficient electricity to their customers in the zone.

Poor electricity supply TCN knocks KEDCO

 

The Head of Kano Office of the TCN in-charge of Kano, Jigawa and Katsina states, Mallam Ahmad I. Karaye made the revelation when he and the representative of National Electricity Regulatory Agency and KEDCO featured in a programme aired by Vision FM in Kano recently.

 

He condemned the attitude of the distribution company for its failure to utilise the energy supplied to them by TCN towards satisfying their customers.

Karaye disclosed that within the week under review alone, TCN has provided enough power for the three states to enjoy, lamenting that out of 350 megawatts provided for KEDCO to distribute to costumers, the company only utilised 135megawatts for a reason known to them.

He added that majority of electricity lines with 33KVA are always with enough energy for KEDCO to top up, but the company does not utilize it, appealing to citizens to stop blaming the federal government for not supplying energy to them rather, they should accuse distributers for sabotage.

He therefore described the level of changes in the transmission of power in Nigeria under the present leadership of TCN, saying that Kano state is adequately provided with enough power blaming KEDCO for not utilising the opportunity.

He said the National Control Centre, Oshogbo, is adequately supplying 100 per cent electricity to Kano, Jigawa, Katsina and Niger Republic noting that 80 per cent of it could serve for up to 20 hours a day while the remaining 20 per cent is lost to technical problems.

An official of the Electricity Regulatory Agency, Engr. A.B. Ismail also, stressed the importance of synergy between the electricity provider and marketers in the country in order to overcome the problems of providing customers with enough energy, pointing out that since 2004 when the federal government privatised Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) to 18 companies to distribute and supply electricity to citizens, there are challenges that need to be resolved among them.

He said the regulatory agency is responsible of monitoring the distribution of the power to the customers and ensuring both parties are given their right as distributors and the customers are adequately paying the supply of electricity at government rate and under the inspection of the Federal Ministry of Mines and Power.

On his part, The Head of Strategy and Corporate Performance Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO), Alhaji Ahmad Umar Sunusi said when he was notified about the radio programme he was so happy because it involved TCN as people would now know where the problem of lack of electricity lies.

He lamented that consumers always want to have enough power in their homes, but not willing to pay for consumption to the company.

“In most cases, the consumers are not helping matters because they contribute a lot in creating the hitches facing the company, ranging from not paying the electricity bill and bypassing it.

“Many customers do not consider cost of power business in the country and on our part, we are trying our best to satisfy our customers despite paying many bills to the National Bulk Electricity Company (NBEC), Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) and other related stakeholders,” he revealed.

Alhaji Sanusi added: “Contrary to the insinuation that KEDCO is deliberately refusing to supply electricity to consumers that cannot be possible for a business-oriented company to engage in such sharp practices,” he said.

A customer, Malam Basher Ibrahim Usman said despite many of KEDCO’s customers in my area who are paying their bills, the supply of energy to them has drastically decreased to a very low ebb while outrageous bill is  monthly being charged by KEDCO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *